[school-discuss] This could work...

Well, turns out Eutelsat covers Malawi:

http://www.bcsatellite.net/eng_vsat.html

I've emailed them to get price and technical specs on the satellite
modem.  Modem price is under $2000.

I'm convinced this is doable now with today's technology using off the shelf components, except for the dust issue. I don't know yet how much the Satellite Internet service costs per month, but if they have a relatively low bandwidth service like 64 kbps, that would certainly be sufficient for basic access, and if 128 kbps could be afforded, they could also use VOIP thereby giving the village a phone.

Satellite receiver and modem: $2300
200 W Solar array and battery (in case a hand covers up the solar array
accidentally): $1000
K12LTSP server: $700
Thin clients: $150 each, 4 total for $600
5 LCD monitors: $150 each for total of $750.
Ethernet Switch, cabling, power strips: $150.

Total without the monthly charge for Satellite Internet Service: $5500.

I'm presuming we'll set up this system in a small school building which has openings for windows and door but no windows or door itself. I wonder, is it practical to put thin white sheer curtains up on the windows and door to keep dust out? The solo computer in one of the links Doug sent looks like the LCD monitor is hardened for outdoor use, but we'll have to protect the server and thin clients as well.

Best,
Daniel
--
Daniel Howard