Re: [school-discuss] back on the list again - looking for ideas

Hello Marilyn,
Welcome back to the list. It is funny that you should email with this
question, because I am in the process of compiling this exact
information for a presentation to  local  school admins here in
Maryland. When I am done, I would be happy yo send you the materials as
well. In the meantime:

Dynebolic - http://www.dynebolic.org/
This live cd has been getting a lot of attention lately. It has a very
active project, and supports a large amount of hardware.

UbuntuStudio - http://ubuntustudio.org/
This one is a recent creation. Although not a live CD, it is worth
taking a look at because it combines audio, video, and image editing
into one studio software package.

Free-Duc - http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd
This one is a general disk with a wide range of applications. The 1.5
version is the latest and is focused on Primary Schools. There is also a
more science based version for older students version 1.7:
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Freeduc-science

One question: How did you manage to get the IT staff to allow you to
start using Linux and open source? I guess this goes for anyone in the
group. I have extreme difficulty getting IT admins to agree to any open
source usage. As a consultant I talk to Principals and Teachers who all
want to use it, but the effort stalls when it comes to the IT admin. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Gregan
Open Source Consultant/Founder
Aptenix LLC Desktop Solutions
New Market MD 21774
cgregan@xxxxxxxxxxx
240-422-9224

"Open source, open minds."

This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the fax address or telephone number above and delete this message. Thank you.