Re: [school-discuss] Is Adobe Holding Artists Hostage?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It appears that Adobe is working hard at making enemies, alienating people, and
helping more artists move towards the FLOSS community:

Was recently at a game developers' meeting.  I asked the developers and artists attending if they used any Open Source software.  There were a couple of people there that used a few Open Source applications such as Wings3D.  However, when I asked if they used any others for functions such as drawing, etc., the response was rather negative.  They really felt that in order to break into the industry, they needed to learn the tools that the companies in the business were using.  Otherwise, they were afraid they might not get hired.  So, with this group, they primarily were interested in programs from companies like Autocad and Adobe and learning how to use them.

I think it's a shame when companies make people use products because they've bought them rather than because they're the most efficient or their people can make the best artistic use of them.  However, using what one's company wants (or what companies you hope to work for use) seems to be a very common attitude in the workplace.  I wonder if there's anything the Open Source movement can do to reach some of these people.  I can understand where trying to standardize makes results more accessible, but that just shows where there's a lack in open formats.  Maybe there's a way to help promote and improve open formats?  I like the idea that an artist should be able to use whatever tools they feel most comfortable with and can do their best work with.

Sincerely,
Laura