Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: How could we be part of this]

Hi:  A little background on Grameen and the kiosk project:

yunus@grameen.net

Professor Yunus started a microcredit program in the early '90's, maybe.  He
built that into an infrastructure that now has electrical, communications,
and financial resources for Bangladesh in place.  When approached about
figuring out how to scale up the donated computers for developing countries,
we discussed the possibility of his end handling everything from the point of
shipping onward.  That broke down to roughly $700/computer/village/year for
the entire country.  On this end, we then find a corporate sponsor that funds
the collection and preparation of 68,000 donated computers.  In return for
sponsorship, the corporate funding partners purchase the marketing rights for
the kiosks.  The idea, then, is a village kiosk, owned and controlled by the
village, and the marketing rights owned by the corporate sponsor, and
everyone running Open Source.

At this time, we're still looking for some marketing professional that can
sell the marketing rights to a corporate sponsor.  That seems to be a big
obstacle, for whatever reason.  Not sure why.  Seems to me, opening up a
250,000,000 market population online in a matter of weeks, would be a good
thing, regardless of its' purchasing power at the time.

I would, however, suggest and encourage anyone that wants to discover and
work with Professor Yunus to contact him at the email above, and introduce
yourself and see what happens.

Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV