[school-discuss] Re: [K12OSN] K12Linux Texas update...

[SNIP]
 Let's talk about that on the list some. I'd like to see an open
source  thread of sessions and talks from all of you out there using
Linux. One  example: today there was HUGE interest in the squidguard
setup Eric  Harrision has available from the MESD
[http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/].

Paul and Eric good job  you guys bust your butts.  Thank you both.

Greetings, one area that might get more attention is
administration.  For example, many schools use programs like Abacus
for student info, in Ohio we use EMIS/POIS for grades, demographics,
special ed and other massive stuff. Problem the EMIS/POIS data is on
an Alpha mainframe which is just so friendly to use ;) - - I like
VMS but I might be alone. The data is basically open to a few people
as a result we have 50 databases of the same stuff, WRONG way to do
it.  Linux to the rescue.  Converting the EMIS/POIS
data to MySQL.  Now the nurses' office, transportation, main office
of each building, the band director, and teacher's grade book all
get the same updated data.  We can even add fields to the middle
MySQL to hold info that EMIS/POIS does not carry.

So what - - show the people with the money in school district where
they can use Linux solutions to save money and offer powerful
flexible answers to come problems.  Issue I deal with is, the state
of Ohio uses programs like MS SQL, FileMaker Pro and Word - -
FORCING school districts to use the same software - - HELLO
$$$$$$$$$.

My point, a focus on backend products also using Linux may give a
little more strength to attack the desktop market.  And "people" are
still affraid to look away from MS and Apple.  We must be able to do
"things" the others can't.  I need to be able to goto my Treasurer
and say "No, Excel can't do that, but this {Linux program} can and
its won't cost you your house."  GIMP has done a nice job here.
Bring on the Script-Fu logos.
I'll shut up now,
Tom Ventresco
Austintown Local Schools