Re: [school-discuss] K12Linux Texas update...

Doug Loss wrote:

> "Jones, Gregory James" wrote:
>
> > I will do that ver thing.
> >
> > Thanks, Paul, for the effort and the update.  Now I just have to
> > come up with a topic... and funding. Hmmm....
>
> Funding is the proverbial elephant in the room, the big problem that
> no one wants to talk about.  We need to be able to pay the entry
> fees for these various conferences, transport people there, and make
> sure they have lodging and food while attending.  Oh, I suppose we
> should transport them back home, too :-).  All these things cost
> money, which is something most of us don't have and aren't
> especially interested in.
>
> I'm working on something that I hope might be able to generate some
> revenue that we could use to get Schoolforge people to conferences
> around the world, but it's not ready for public unveiling just yet.
> When it is (in the not too distant future), you'll hear about it
> here first.

Maybe we can set up something whereby advocates could donate frequent
flier tickets to cover transportation costs.  I'm only familiar with
Southwest's program - they issue transferable vouchers that expire one
year from the date of issue.  If anyone has one that's about to expire,
this would be a good thing to do with it.  I don't think you can deduct
such a donation since they declare "no cash value" on the vouchers.

I suppose this "program"  could be as informal as posting a plea here
for a free ticket.

jthomas@bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
Things could be a lot better around here, but worse is more likely -
Calvin