Re: [school-discuss] Knoppix vs. Freeduc vs. ???

Hello,

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:24:58 -0400, rtc <kudzu409@optonline.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A guick question about "etiquette"....  is it considered 'bad form' to
> use a download accelerator to grab an .iso or straight distro??    I
> get speeds of  high 100's to 200K plus on Windows sites ....   I know
> that these programs make multiple connections to a server but I don't
> know the technology behind them ....  are these "virtual" connections
> or the eqivalent of seperate logins  ....   If using them precludes
> others from logging in it is simply "rude"  .....    Would appreciate
> knowing as the speed inclrease is substantial....

Some of these tools have an automatic mirror search facility or povide
you a way to manually specify mirrors and the it download different
parts of the image from different sites thus even decreasing network and
server load by distributing it.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org