Re: [school-discuss] English teacher apps

Testing now, Robin. Wow. Thanks for such a quick response! Did you write it in perl? Do you have any intention of releasing the code for it? Do you have any interest in developing this a bit further? Would you like some help?

A big plus would be identifying which words that were used and allowing the teacher to supply their own list of words. I'm an English teacher, as you know, and so expect my students to use 'literary terms' while discussing a text. Furthermore, we, in the course of discussion, spend some time brainstorming words and phrases related to certain topics which the students are to then write about in their papers. If a teacher could supply that list to your AWL decoder then the teacher will be better equipped to hold the students accountable for at least trying to use the new terms in their papers. This of course applies to any domain, not just English, the same could easily apply to papers in History, Science etc.

Showing the English staff the types of data I can pull from student's papers using style and diction has really increased the interest, at least in my school, in better using technology to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses in student's use of passive voice, reliance on pronouns, length of sentences etc. Of course, with any discipline, vocabulary development is critical but rather lacking in useful tools. Your tool could provide teachers with an opportunity to discuss the proper use of the terms as it relates to the grammar required to create a coherent flow in the work itself.

I'm very excited by your application! With your permission, I'd like to have my students try it out, maybe this week. Would you be willing to have your server hammered a bit with my students' work? Would you be interested in finding some vector upon which we could collaborate?

sincere regards,
Dennis Daniels

robin wrote:
robin wrote:

Dennis Daniels wrote:

> Quite possibly. There are many things that teachers still do better than
> computers. A computer might be a good replacement for a bad teacher, but
> it is rarely even close to a good one.

Yes, I agree, however, but the good teachers can be made great by applying the tools that help the teachers better analyze an entire group's needs. I'm looking for apps that help remove the drudgery of pointing out that ending a sentence with a preposition is bad form, that one must start a sentence with a capital letter and if you make a spelling mistake it is the student's responsibility to correct it.

I was driving home this evening and could think of scripts, off the top of my head, that would make all English teacher's lives much more productive...

*histogram of all words a student uses diffed against the Academic Word List

Well, no histograms as yet, but ten cups of coffee later, I've come up with a web-based application that will check a file against the AWL. It's rather slow (too many loops and big arrays!) and I'm not sure how reliable it is, but the results I've had so far seem to make sense. Here's what it made of some files I fed it ...

Julia Driver: "The Conflation of Moral and Epistemic Virtue"
Total words in file = 13819
Words in AWL = 250 per thousand
Words in Sublist 1 = 27 per thousand
Words in Sublist 2 = 47 per thousand
Words in Sublist 3 = 22 per thousand
Words in Sublist 4 = 14 per thousand
Words in Sublist 5 = 53 per thousand
Words in Sublist 6 = 36 per thousand
Words in Sublist 7 = 12 per thousand
Words in Sublist 8 = 12 per thousand
Words in Sublist 9 = 12 per thousand
Words in Sublist 10 = 12 per thousand

One of my papers
Total words in file = 7490
Words in AWL = 91 per thousand
Words in Sublist 1 = 15 per thousand
Words in Sublist 2 = 8 per thousand
Words in Sublist 3 = 14 per thousand
Words in Sublist 4 = 8 per thousand
Words in Sublist 5 = 9 per thousand
Words in Sublist 6 = 9 per thousand
Words in Sublist 7 = 7 per thousand
Words in Sublist 8 = 6 per thousand
Words in Sublist 9 = 6 per thousand
Words in Sublist 10 = 5 per thousand

One of my students' papers
Total words in file = 1265
Words in AWL = 76 per thousand
Words in Sublist 1 = 12 per thousand
Words in Sublist 2 = 5 per thousand
Words in Sublist 3 = 8 per thousand
Words in Sublist 4 = 5 per thousand
Words in Sublist 5 = 6 per thousand
Words in Sublist 6 = 12 per thousand
Words in Sublist 7 = 10 per thousand
Words in Sublist 8 = 3 per thousand
Words in Sublist 9 = 6 per thousand
Words in Sublist 10 = 4 per thousand

First episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Total words in file = 7934
Words in AWL = 22 per thousand
Words in Sublist 1 = 2 per thousand
Words in Sublist 2 = 0 per thousand