Re: [school-discuss] English teacher apps

I've just updated that program for comparing texts to the Academic Word List. Changes:

1. No longer attempts to deal with HTML files - I'm putting this off for a while.
2. Works around the bug in Internet Explorer that puts a space between adjacent images (thus screwing up the bar charts).
3. Texts are also compared to the General Service List, and frequency of words on that list is also printed.
4. It gives an off-the-cuff comment on the text ("erudite", "academic", "literate" or "colloquial") based on the ratio of AWL to GSL words.

As before, the working version is at http://lists.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin/cgibin/awlcheck.cgi and the source code is at http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin/awlcheck.tar.gz
The tarball contains the script, gifs for the barcodes, the General Service List and a README file. I haven't included the AWL sublists because of possible copyright problems.

Robin

--
"I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art."
Dawn - BtVS

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi