[school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Session 2 - OSS Solutions for E-learning

G'day all,

I think Tony provides a good broad overview of the current OSS landscape

I work in the training sector at state level and I have some experience implimenting Learning Management Systems (LMS). There is a lot to like about OSS LMSs but they are still a bit immature in some areas.  The major problems I have stem from Observation 4.

The OSS LMSs at present appear to be designed for primarily simple single campus academic instituions rather than complex organisations where training delivery needs to meet often ideosyncratic organisational structures.  My main concern is the administration functions tend to be very centralised placing the control of the system and workload in very few hands.  I think the 3 main issues are:

1. In an organisation training thousands of people this is a significant workload that one area has to cover.

2. It also has the potential to create political problems by taking control away from Dept heads - this problem would be greater in organisations with a preexisting decentralised management structure or a distrust of/disbelief in the central management.

3. Access to the reporting functions provided also tends to be centralised limiting a managers access to information about his staff/ trainees.  The number and types of reports also tend to a bit too limited to meet the needs a large, dispersed organisation.

The other major concern I have is they tend to be designed as stand alone systems.  There does not appear to be much work put into developing applications to aid intergration with other management systems.

I think these are areas the developers of more mature OSS LMSs (eg Illias, Atutor, Moodle, Manhattan) should be considering.

cheers,

Cameron Nichol