Re: [school-discuss] my puzzle about OSS in education

All,

For all this discussion, I haven't seen much about the pedagogical
design of FOSS learning systems, for example, TuxType or TuxMath.
Meaningful pedagogical models are built from solid research; one
example is FastMath from Tom Snyder productions [No, I'm no
affiliated]. To be effective, research on learning and learning
through computer-based interventions MUST be applied to FOSS
development as an integral part of the development cycle.

So while at the moment the discussion centers mainly on the
cost-effectiveness of FOSS solutions, it could easily move into the
effectiveness & efficacy debate quickly with a strong research-based
software design that experienced classroom adoption. Likewise, it
isn't that "computer software" can teach, but how it requires one to
think that helps to teach and train.

dave

--dave crusoe / HGSE TIE '05