[school-discuss] Educationally Impoverished Computing [was Korea brings ...]

Hi,

Frankly teachers, by and large, are pragmatic. They want their students to grow in their skills, understandings, knowledge, etc. (as do I as a teacher and parent).

In light of this, teachers will use whatever springs to hand.

In a computer lab 'fully equipped' with the latest dummied down XP Pro locked down by registration keys of every ilk and loaded with the latest "microSoft Office XXX", there isn't much to play with. Once they're typed a few friendly letters, done a mail merge, drawn a picture with MS Paint (if available), students are done. (usually by about Grade 8-9).

Nothing much "springs to hand" here, although most administrators and division boards are very proud of the 'new, state of the art, labs'.

What's a shibboleth? (It just popped into my head...)

What might be a solution to this problem of computationally impoverished pedagogy? (grin)

Les Richardson Late Friday afternoon while marking final exams....