[school-discuss] Re: [Fwd: RE: moving from windows2000 to linux]

on Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 07:23:30PM -0400, Doug Loss (drloss@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> [...]

Get your distro's standard version of WINE.

From there, you want to go to the SideNet WINE config tool which applies
a number of configuration settings which make WINE vastly more
compatible.  I managed to get MSIE v6 running by this route, got it up
and going now (mostly for website design compatibility testing).

Information on Sidenet:

    http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=sidenet

Homepage:

    http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

There was a trick I needed to do to get the thing to run properly, and
I'm trying to remember just what this was, but it's slipping my mind
ATM....

Ah yes:  there's a fake shutdown utility, IIRC, 'wineboot', in Debian
it's contained in the wine package.  I *think* that was the problem.  If
the system didn't manage its fake boot, the configuration didn't work
properly.

As the utility downloads a boatload of patches from MSFT, and I'm on
dialup, repeating the process was something of a PITA.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    Where I'm going you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be