Re: [school-discuss] linux distributions for low resource computers,

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 15:02 -0700, Dean Montgomery wrote:

> ====
> In regards to server load...
>
> We can run around 100-150 diskless clients per server.  A LTSP server bogs
> down at 30 workstations.
>
> There is a gig connection between the server and the first switch.
Can you provide some specs on the server you are using? My LTSP servers
are pretty beefy monsters (2-4 cores, 2-4 CPU's, 8+GB RAM, multiple Gbit
NICs, etc) that run 100-150 thin clients each. I would expect for
diskless clients the key factors will be primarily network bandwidth
followed by hard drive throughput.

The main reason I have been avoiding the diskless format is heat and the
need for fans. A silent environment is a big plus from the thin client
format. Although I do have my hands on a new fanless client from VIA
(pico-format) that can be either diskless or thin format.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>