Re: [school-discuss] Collecting Assessments at District Level

Hi,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

So you want reports by:
student, class, location

There are a couple of approaches in terms of data structures:
a) Fewer larger tables that simplify querying but complicate entry.
b) More smaller tables that make querying harder.

Anyway, what will we need in a table to store the assessment results:

StudentID:  - student id
AsResult: - assessment result
Type: (percent or scale) - it could be a number representing the max value
(ie. 100 or 4, etc.)
LocationCode:  - a number for the building.
ClassCode - a number for the year, subject, form,

These last two fields could be combined or multiple fields could be
created, depending on needs. For simplified querying, it might be nice to
have separate locationcode, subjectcode(ie. Gr 11 chemistry = 8212),
year, etc.

Then linked tables for locations, subjects, etc. would also be required.

This should be enough to store all your assessment data results
quite easily and also allow reasonable querying/reporting.

> scale, quantatative/qualitative, curricular area, etc) and a table with
> just data and the associated test?

So you also have the assessment device (ie. the test) also?

> I would like an individual teacher to be able to pull up information
> about each student, the average for their class, and the average for the
> building in each area.

A simple query will easily give these results, either with a web interface
or some sort of MySQL client or an ODBC/JDBC connection to some sort of
front end.

> MySQL with with fields like this: student id, score1, score2, etc.  They
> are then associated with a table that has some very general test
> information.

What is the "very general test information"? and why do you want that?

Les Richardson
HHS.