Re: [school-discuss] Collecting Assessments at District Level

Mike,
That's interesting hardware information (particularly the WalMart machines ;^) ).  I actually never really thought through the basics of data in relation to hardware.  I'll keep those ideas in mind.

--
Stephen Braunius
Director of Instructional Technology

mikee wrote:
B0027863531@mail.webdsi.com">
hello,

On Scaling : --> fitting data topology to need and demand.

two seperate factors must be scaled :

(1) Quantity

If I must keep 10,000 100 byte records (A) per 9 week term,
with four measured terms per year
then the volume of the data will grow by
4A per annum.

this is a number all your vendors need.

(2) Accessability

if one hundred users access together the average wait is ~
% fails rises on slope @ with volume to M

you respond to these motivations by publishing agreed to service levels.
this ties service to a transactional cost.
"Within 30 days, late orders 72 hour delivery on notification of tardiness
and so on ..

benefit --> you can observe tradeoffs between cost, effectiveness and public
image. (Response time and failure rate are the major impacts of record keeping
operations on public image of the institution. ( Purely based on
observation, not statistics. )

let's take :

50 folders of 100 bytes each :
5000 bytes - 50 folders by one backup : 10000 bytes - 100 folders
by 40000-400 (four measured terms) annual

for 10 users with 8 record accesses over the total population of folders :
10x8x400 = 32,000 accesses

if all accesses occur exactly on the four term boundaries
on a single 6 hour day in each of these four instances
and an average fetch is one minute user time (at the client / terminal )
each day you can do 360 transactions
but you need to do 8000 in this period
so you can either :

a : drop the transaction time. at one second, it's at 21,600 - overshoot !

b: lengthen the publishing period. at 6 days of 7 hours each 2520 (not good
enough to meet anticipated demand).

these worst case rough cuts establish scalibility goals - the end points.
this approach lets you size the ruler you're going to use.

vendor relationships could start with this number ?

my "hunch" is that growth in accesses for a given folder show high demand for
at most 5 measured terms to span years, then they decline on an exponentially
increasing ( if negativce ? ) slope i.e. people look at newer records more
than older records and that as the distance along that line increases so does
disinterest.

you can design a solution with these numbers.

i would use two brand new wal-mart 1gig athalons
with 2 40 gig drives
and 256 meg memory
and standard redhat 7.2
maybe swapping out some parts
more than enough to do the job, but,
price and value count too :-)

there are better math guys than me on every street corner,
so the idea is a little rough cut, but
... well - you tell me.

mike eschman, etc ...
not just an afterthought