Re: [school-discuss] Contest in GCompris board creation

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

Finaly it looks like the EPI games in one hand and the contest idea in
the other one could be linked, and the EPI game could be an excuse to
set up a contest where the participant will have to port one EPI board
to GCompris, then the best ones would be rewarded.
Also it will be very cool to organize the event under the School Forge
umbrella (so this mail in this list), just another occasion to work
together and to strengthen our actions in the promotion of Free Software
in Education. Probably the contest idea could be extend in other domain
with the ressources of the participating members org. of SF.
I think this sounds like a very good idea! Of course, all the EPI games are in French (as you would expect), and so might be difficult for non-French-speakers to understand. Could someone pick, say, the first group of EPI games and describe them to us so we know how they work and what their educational rationale is?

This would be something needed before the contest starts so participants have common "targets" to work towards.

How should such a contest be structured? Would we pick winning equivalents for each EPI game, or first, second, and third place winners for each game, or something else again? Would we run contests for all the games at the same time, or put up three or four games at a time with a call for ports? What kind of deadline (how much time) should we have for each contest?

The success of such contests often depends on how widely publicized they are. Where besides here should we publicize this contest?

I'm sure there are many more questions to be answered, but those are ones that occur to me quickly.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain