Re: [school-discuss] Re: LyX

on Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:47:26PM +0500, Khawar Nehal (khawar@atrc.net.pk) wrote:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

> Cool
>
> Didn't know that about debian
>
> Will get my people to install the 7 downloaded CDs and check it out.

Note that you don't _need_ all seven disks for an installation, though
it may be useful in some contexts (slow Net link, standalone machines).

My own preference is a chroot install in which a system is booted
somehow (Knoppix, Tom's Root Boot, LNX-BBC, existing RH install, etc.),
and you simply install Debian into a directory or partition.
Instructions (derived from my own directions) are in the Debian
installation manual.

The seven-disk install set *is* useful for seeding your apt-proxy cache.
apt-proxy is a proxy server for apt-get updates.  Rather than updating a
network full of machines over your (slow, intermittant, saturated)
external network link, you cache all requests to the apt-proxy server.
After your first fetch, all subsequent requests from your other systems
occur at LAN speeds.

You can tune the proxy for updates so that similar requests repeated at
short intervals will be served from the proxy (e.g.:  I set my interval
to 720 minutes (half a day)).

   apt-get install apt-proxy

...and point it to the appropriate upstream sources.

Locally, your apt-proxy server becomes the source used by your other
systems.

I'm using apt-proxy at home to maintain six systems off a single dialup
line, running scheduled updates overnight.

<71 lines snipped>

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Leave no billionaire behind