From: owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
[mailto:owner-schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net] On Behalf Of Gordon J.
Holtslander
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 6:15 PM
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Can some one pls. help me!!!

Hi:

If the computers BIOS is set to boot off the CD before the Hard-drive
It should just be a matter of placing the CD in the system and restarting
the
computer.

I would check with the cafe people to be sure they don't mind their computer

being restarted - or perhaps you could just say windows crashed and you
needed to restart it :)

It is possible to make a floppy disk that will start the computer and hand
over the system to the CD.  With the CD in the computer and the computer
running windows open the knoppix folder in the knoppix CD.

Have a windows (FAT) formatted floppy available- all the information on the
floppy disk will be overwritten.

The CD  has an  autostart file which will open a web page describing
knoppix-
this will be likely be displayed if you double click the CD icon to open it.

It may be necessary to right click on the CD and select explore to view the
contents of the CD.

Go to the knoppix folder.  There is a file labelled  mkfloppy.bat .
Double-click this.  It will run a program that creates a boot disk.  It will

ask you to insert the floppy disk.  Follow its instructions, you will  end
up
with a boot floppy.  With this floppy it is possible to run knoppix as long
as the computer is set to boot from a floppy.

You need to put the boot floppy in the floppy drive, and the Cd in the cd
rom
drive and reboot the computer.

It is possible that the cafe has set up their systems so they can't boot
from
a CD, or floppy - you would have to get their help.  Tell them you have a
package that would let them run a cafe system that does not need a
hard-drive, and its free,  They might be interested. :)

Gord

On March 5, 2004 10:03 am, John Williams wrote:
> Hi Somebody,
> I have Knoppix 3.3, I don't have internet access on my small Pentium MMX.
> machine running @ 166Mhz and 42MB RAM. Therefore I always use Internet
> Cafe's when ever I have to be on the net. Most of the cafes I visit has
> small LANs (Just one server and five(5) to twenty(20) clients.) running
> either Windows98/2000/NT/XP, using radio link or Dail-up connection.
> Question: Assuming I want to use my Knoppix-CD on one of their clients.
How