Re: [school-discuss] Project suggestions for 10-12 y.o. kids?

Our project works with kids age 10-14. Some of them during school hours, others in after school clubs. The kids discuss scientific / mathematical phenomena, then model these in a programing environment called ToonTalk. When they have something interesting to share, they publish a report on the web (aka web report), which includes the coded model, either as an applet or as a component their peers can run on their computers.

The web report system is an extension of plone, and is open source. You're welcome to replicate it, we'll provide source code & guidance. ToonTalk, unfortunately is neither open source nor free. However, it is very reasonably priced, and if you want to participate in our activities, I can give you access to the project beta versions for free.

Weblabs project description: http://www.weblabs.eu.com/
Web reports system: http://www.weblabs.org.uk/wlplone/
ToonTalk: http://www.toontalk.com/

- Yishay

Karsten M. Self wrote:

As someone who's worked largely in tech for the past decade (though some
say I _was_ a kid once myself), I'm now faced with the prospect of
creating an activity for a computer lab (~10 systems) for an equal
number of 10-12 y.o. kids.

The goal is educational. The setting is an after-school program (not
a school program itself). Initially, the systems are largely legacy MS
Windows, though the plan is to change this over time. There are some
prepared materials for this sort of thing I'll have a chance to look
over tomorrow, though I haven't yet seen them.

What I'd like to focus on rather than specific technologies is the sort
of things other people do in a similar setting. I haven't worked with
kids of this age since lifeguarding years back, absent a few spells with
neighbors kids and such (mostly roughhousing and horsing around).

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Peace.