RE: [school-discuss] Help on packaging / configuration guides

Hello Steve and Michael,

Just a quick warning on yum and rpm in general.  Having just helped
someone with a nasty little problem that takes a bit of research to
figure out.  If you control-c (or kill -9) the yum (it's a perl script)
or apparently rpm for that matter during an install (something I routine did with
apt-get with debian), rpm will leave a semaphore file out there in it's
/var/lib/rpm/something or other (I don't have a fedora or redhat box
handy) and you will have to go delete it before you can get rpm or fedora
to work again.  This may be old hat to many of you, however, it was news
to the person I was helping (a very savvy sys admin with alot on his mind
besides tracking down silly semaphore files).  The main kicker to this
story is that NEITHER yum nor rpm gave any indication as to the problem...
they just hung.

I'd really like some fedora/redhat people to try this out on their systems
as it's certainly possible it was ONLY his fedora that is affected by
this, although somehow I doubt this....

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jwaddell@spunge.org