[school-discuss] Re: SuSE docs (was: Re: Re: Politeness and maturity)

on Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 12:31:36AM -0800, Karsten M. Self (kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> on Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:42:34PM -0600, Brad Bendily (bendily@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > On technical matters:  I call 'em like I see 'em, sometimes a little too
> > > loudly.  My main gripes are access to docs -- if you've got any sway at
> > > Novell in this regard, pass on the info.
> >
> > What docs are you looking for from Novell, exactly?
>
> Pretty much anything that's hidden behind the registration firewall at:
>
>     https://portal.suse.com/
>
> Installation manual, administrators manual, package management guide,
> FAQ, the usual.
>
> See:  http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Linux/linux-new.html
>
> ...search "Distro-specific Support", it's a sidebar identifying
> resources for different distros.

OK....

Looks like I was wrong that the docs aren't available online:

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/

...and for SuSE Linux 9.2:

    http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse92/treetitl.html?nonav=true

That said:

  - I've been looking for this (off-and-on) for few weeks.

  - The logical location (http://www.suse.com/) _doesn't_ have an
    apparent documentation link (which is to say, if there is a link,
    it's not apparent).

  - The one apparent link is a registration firewall (noted above).

  - I'd made repeated queries to several sources, including local LUGs,
    and the #suse channel on irc.freenode.net.  I was pointed at
    numerous third-party doc resources (below), and given the general
    impression that docs were available with the distro, and I should
    search the distro (repeatedly stating that I wasn't in front of a
    SuSE system, nor did I have ready access to installation media).

    http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux-adminguide_en/

  - I _have_ been able to locate docs for most other major distros with
    little difficulty (or determine that there aren't any of
    significance, e.g.:  Fedora Core).  I view docs (particularly
    installation / general admin) as more akin to marketing than
    value-added materials.  SuSE's making same difficult to find
    is...annoying.  And mostly harmful to themselves.

So:  I was wrong, the docs _are_ avaiable.  However through Novell's
website, not SuSE's.  And they take some digging to get to.

Novell are strongly encouraged to provide direct doc support links off
their SuSE domain (suse.com, suse.de, etc.) pages.  Streamlining their
corporate site wouldn't hurt either.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    I'll stop calling this Administration "Orwellian" when they stop