Re: [school-discuss] Tuxmath and programs no longer actively developed

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I believe one of this year's GSOC projects is porting TuxMath to SDL 2.
> I don't think it's no longer maintained, I think there's just a lull in the
> development right now.

I joined the TuxMath mailing list and I see the posts about people
wanting to volunteer for GSOC projects using TuxMath.  I just hope
someone's coordinating and organizing so there's no duplication of
effort.  Haven't seen that yet.  I'd port it myself to SDL 2, but I
don't want to duplicate work with everyone else who is "volunteering".

By the way, someone contacted me about his TuxPaint SDL 2 port.
Again, would be nice if the efforts weren't duplicated between
projects.  He said he had a port fo SDL_Pango to SDL 2, so that
definitely doesn't need to be duplicated.

> Tux Math's aged a bit since the last release, it seems (about 3 years),
> but I don't see it going away.  (In fact, looks like the most recent
> commit to it's git repository was a couple of weeks ago.)

I can access the TuxMath source from Debian, but can't download
anything from the repository at Alioth.  All I can do is view the file
changes.

> I think as people (like Pere working on Tux Paint) figure out what needs
> to be done, the knowledge will spread around and it'll become easier for
> other projects to jump on the bandwagon.

I already have a port of pdcurses for SDL 2.0.  It's not that hard.

Thanks very much for the status on TuxPaint.  I'll keep monitoring the
mailing list.

Would be nice if I could add my modifications in with the others, but
not sure if that's going to happen at this point.  I have some fixes
for using sdl_ttf and building with sdl_net disabled.  I also have
some fixes for a Windows port.  I tried downloading a Windows version
(think it was from TuxMath at Sourceforge) and it dies when I try to
run it on Windows.  (I was looking at the code and trying to figure
out how certain things could ever work on Windows and turns out they
couldn't, at least not with a mingw compiler.)  My build (of version
2.0.3) fixes the issues and works fine on Windows systems (Win XP, Win
7) .

It's a really nice program (for all ages).  Hope it continues to be
around for a long time.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp