Re: [school-discuss] Donated Computers announcement, Take III

Dennis Heuer wrote:

> > > I personally prefer referring to 'Linux' as 'GNU/Linux'.
> >
> > Yes, but KISS. A headline is not the place to put philosophical points.
> >

> Yes, indeed, Linux is a buzzword and GNU/Linux is not. Using the word
> Linux does no harm and helps because this word is widely known.

The most important consideration here is the intended audience of this press
release.  If it were for the Open Source/Free software software community, then
GNU/Linux would be a valid political statement, but since it's intended primarily
for the wider,
not-particularly-aware-of-or-interested-in-minor-philosophical-differences press I
think it would just confuse the issue.  Whether we like it or not, "Linux" is the
term that has some mindshare with the general public and "GNU/Linux" isn't.
Therefore, it should be "Linux."