Re: [school-discuss] looking for your experiences

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 23:18, Tina Gasperson wrote:
> I'm looking for examples, experiences, statistics, and happy stories
> about your findings in the aftermath of Microsoft's latest license push
> in the schools. Have you seen an increase in inquiries for free
> software/open source alternatives? Any testimonies or "case studies" out
> there?

I have seen the number of Linux servers going into schools ramp up
considerably in the last year. None of them are eager for fame yet, so I
won't name names. I think this is something that most schools will get into,
if possible, gradually. The motivators so far have been cost and security
(even at educational prices, the non-Gummint schools flinch at the per-seat
costs). Principle and foresight seem to be dissapointingly far down the list,
and intrinsic educational value seems to be an impossible concept to convey.

The Gummint schools in Western Australia are so far covered by one huge (and
expensive) blanket agreement with The Borg. If I had the resources, I'd be
challenging that agreement in court as an independent supplier shut out by
it.

Schools here are very shy about Linux on the desktop, I think mostly because
the decision-makers are uniformly confusing rote patterning with genuine
learning of principles. I haven't yet had to face anyone stupid enough to ask
who they sue if it all goes horribly wrong.

Cheers; Leon