Re: [school-discuss] Worldwide Interferometry Array

On 2002.05.08 22:38 Chip wrote:
> That sounds like a awsome idea.
> I personally haven't done anything with Radio Telescopes, but this
> project
> sounds very interesting, and yet very fesable.
>
> One thing that I would like to see, is a semi-pre made kit or highly
>
> detailed instructions, that would be easy for a novice radio user to
> setup a
> complete and usefull node.

Sorry for the delay in my reply.  My ISP has been down locally for a
while.  I'll also apologize in advance for my long off-topic mail.  If
anyone would like to discuss the interferometry project in excruciating
detail there is a list at:

I agree with your comment about ease of setup.  One of the great things
about interferometry is that, to some extent, it is possible to make up
in number of nodes for what the system lacks in the sophistication at
each node.  I think the best strategy is to make each node as simple as
reasonably possible.

This is one reason that I have suggested that most hardware the project
uses should be generally available off-the-shelf equipment.  I myself
use almost entirely equipment that I can dig up second hand at the MIT
Flea market.  (http://web.mit.edu/w1mx/www/swapfest.html for those of
you in the area.)

As far as software goes, it may make sense to come up with a
distribution of software packages a node is likely to need.  These
might then all be configured at once.

Thanks for your suggestion and support.

Streph