Re: [school-discuss] Another angle on winning interest in open source

Hi: Nice article. As I read it, I found myself looking for mention of, and
links to government agencies that use these things called Open Source.

For starters, there's the U.S. Census Bureau:
http://perl.oreilly.com/news/census_0101.html

"For Taylor, the Senior Internet Technology Architect who oversees system
administration, content management, and application development for some of
the servers at the bureau, - - - "

"One site, rates.census.gov, was the key part of a promotion for Census 2000
that made it the most successful census in 30 years, resulting in a budget
surplus. And the second one, an interagency site named www.fedstats.gov/imf,
displays all the country's leading financial and economic indicators at a
glance, and updates them twice daily. It's a site so powerful and concise
that other subscriber nations to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have
recently requested assistance in setting up similar systems."

Tie a couple of these kinds of articles together, and I think it would be a
good follow-up for this article. Let the teachers know that these kids are
going to need to be exposed to something besides the toaster or the automatic
coffee maker.  <grin>

If you come across some other examples, can you post them here?
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/