Re: [school-discuss] [Fwd: (LOSS, Mr Doug) Britannica TechnicalSupport [No Ticket]]

> If there is a non-proprietary project of encyclopedia software created
> via the port, ala mozilla and openoffice.org, then it could be a good
> thing.  But if they simply want to stick with only a proprietary
> product, they will get no help from me, and probably no help from many
> other folks.

If proprietary is the only way to get some software ported to Linux is
this not the best way to go? If certian closed source software
applications where avaliable on Linux would that not make Linux a better
option. I thought the purpose of getting Linux into Schools was to better
education by helping cut costs and stability issues among other issues. I
dont think that getting Linux in Schools should depend on making sure
everything used is Open Source or Free. While it would be nice if it was
currently I think the objective should be get Linux and other alternatives
into the school before we try to take over the systems.

Sometimes the Open Source Mentality is the same as the Microsoft Closed
Source:

Open Source: IF it is not OSS then it is worthless and I wont use it.
Close Source: IF it is OSS then it is worthless and a major breach in
Security and does not follow standards.

Those to me seem the same. I think we should all concern ourselves with
getting the software we can into the schools and not worry about total
domination.

--
Matt Jezorek
Executive Director / Founder