Re: [school-discuss] Well, they're coming to Salt Lake City... [Fwd: BSA Software audit]

> From: "Greg Scherer" <GFSCHERER@DATC.TEC.UT.US>
> Folks -
>
> As may or may not have heard on some radio stations recently, the BSA
> (Business Software Alliance) group is in or will be in the Salt Lake
> City area to conduct software audits
> (http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases//2002-05-01.1078.phtml). This
> group evidently provides companies the opportunity to prove software
> license legitimacy. If installed software has not been legitimately
> purchased, they can fine up to $100,000 per incident and possible
> federal prison time for the guilty party(ies).

How do these audits work?  Can a software company (or other
organization) just invite themselves over and perform an audit?  Isn't
there something in the U.S. constitution that prevents illegal search
and seizure?  Doesn't somebody have to demonstrate probable cause?

Is there a "we'll allow you to audit us at your convenience" clause in
the EULA?

jthomas@bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that's even worse
  - Calvin's Dad