Re: [school-discuss] Scribus Publishing anyone reviewed?

paul wrote:

> On Thursday 30 May 2002 14:27, you wrote:
>
>>http://apps.kde.com/uk/0/show/id/1064/ss?sid=50f81921de1b1836ade08ce2af004f
>>f3
>>
>>Anyone reviewed or tried this software yet?

I tried it about six months ago, and I couldn't get it to go. I assume it's
gotten better. If it works, it will be excellent for newsletters, but it will
always be a second sister in the world of pro prepress -- suitable for
newsletters and newspapers, but not for things like color packaging design.

Any such software (free prepress) faces a serious hurdle in commercial
acceptance: spot color. Just as the DVD codecs can be owned and fenced off, the
important standard for color reproduction (the PANTONE colors) is owned and
maintained by a single company, and you can't use their color designations in
your software if you don't pay for it.

Not cricket in the free software world...

--William