Re: [school-discuss] MS Schools Agreement anti-competitive UK

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:00:46PM +0000, Paul Tietjens wrote:

> I don't agree that School Agreement, or a Microsoft Select program are
> any more anti-competitive than the site licenses offered by most large
> software companies.  At worst, they are confusing and designed to cheat

Except that you cannot call this a "site licence" since
the cost depends on the number of "eligable machines".
Which need not even *ever* have run anything Microsoft.

> the customer - they are an 'insurance policy' meant to ease the paranoid
> tension created by anti-piracy coalitions - but they are not designed,
> necessarily, to drive other software out of the customer's org.

It's very much like the kind of "per system" licencing
Microsoft offered to OEMs. Which was found to be unlawful
at their first anti-trust hearing.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School