[school-discuss] Radio Gutenberg Schedule, June of 2003

May 30th, 2003<p>

This month, we inaugurate our DJ book showings.  East evening at 6 PM,
US/CST, a different DJ will introduce you to a work in the Gutenberg
Collection.  Each week, a new book is offered, and the books belonging
to a given month share some common basis in the mind and heart of that DJ.

All week on Channel 2, Balzac "The Succubus".

Channel One by Day, first week in June, 2003 :

M   Da Cook brings you "Treasure Island".
T   Mozart helps Sammy find Coral Land.
W   Bugsy treats us all to a live reading of Ring Lardner's "The Real Dope",
       with music written then, and some performances from those days.
T   Trout looks into H. G. Wells's "The Invisible Man".
F   The Fishburn Files features "Through Space to Mars".
S   Bugsy returns for more of "The Real Dope".
S   The Fishburne Files returns for adventures on Mars.

Check back next week for new listings.

You can see their reasoning and emotion in the monologues offered up by
Bugsy, the Fishburne agency, Mozart, Da Cook and your humble writer
here, a trout by Kilgore, or any other name.

This first week, we offer you adventure by way of the classic "Treasure
Island" and "Through Space to Mars", pathos in "The Succubus" and
entertainment and instruction in "The Jungle Book".

The synth voice processing used to create these books now understands
the shape of a sentence, clearly separates the characters in dialog, and
in some small way imparts the sense of the speaker's heart, by the
character of the voice used.

In difficult stories, stories with a sensibility of cultures neither
American nor British, the readings demonstrate a precision in
pronuncation few living readers could aspire to.  Balzac's "The
Succubus" demonstrates this in considerable degree.

Over the coming weeks, these virtual actors on an audible stage will
grope toward a more refined shaping of a work's meaning, its social
intent, with an intent of perfecting clarity in the search for a natural
presentation.  Our first step is to make the engine aware of the
material being read to the extent that at any point, it comprehends the
word at it is spoken, in the context of the word it follows, as well as
the import of the word that follows.

We are taking this step in the tradition of great human actors of stage
and screen, who,  regardless what they say, focus effort on the words,
just as they begin to travel about a theater, or your living room.
Success in this attempt ensures a long-lived tool, that will proper from
the efforts of its users, rewarding with improved results from every
effort, because success will circumscribe the growth of any supporting
database, and ensure every task is completed with the bulk of the effort
being poured into the end product, and not the procedures and customs
that tend to grow about support functions.

And at the same time, with a single throw, we hope to be ensuring the
permanent existence of a library at Gutenberg that can lift new
citizens, and those in difficulty, to an easy and care-free indulgence
in the works of our history, minds and hearts.

Enjoy, download, copy and hand them to everyone you meet.

Look live books, both on the page and in the ear, as in our hearts.

mike eschman, etc ...
http://www.etc-edu.com
"Not just an afterthought.

--