Re: [school-discuss] Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 19:20 +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:53:59AM -0300, Stephen Downes wrote:
> > >yet another CD-bootable disto, Debian based, but with a
> > >built-in installer: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
>
> No, as far as I've seen on their sounder@ list, it's not even
> *positioned* as that.  There's a LiveCD, and an install CD.
> 2 pcs.

Correct - think Debian with six month upgrade path.

> You could have mixed it up with Knoppix. :)
>
> > I've heard good things about Ubuntu and have a distro at home
> > ready to install. But...
>
> Get another system, hard drive or partition and experiment there,
> it's exactly the way to play with new things.
> > What do people here think of Ubuntu? How well does it compare
> > with, say, Mandrake?

Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE flair) is an option if you prefer KDE as the
desktop environment. http://www.kubuntu.org/

> Last one I've seen was Mdk 10.0 Community Edition and I must say
> ..oh no, better no brute words regarding its performance on.
> quite decent system :-(
>
> They've "traditionally" had some idiosynchrasies on server and
> i18n fronts as well.
>
> Re Ubuntu, I've only had time to look at livecd; first impression
> is quite OK.  What's more interesting to me is community and the
> synergy the company behind the project seems to manage well.

I use Ubuntu at work and home. At work it's used for desktop & server.

They'll send a cd free of charge http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/