Re: [school-discuss] Re: [IIEP] Retraining initiative

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 12:39:24PM +0300, Teemu Leinonen wrote:
> I agree that the training should always explore different kind of
> (free/open source) technologies. I am afraid, that if the training is
> only about LAMP or Zope or any other specific (free/open or proprietary)
> technology the programmers will be again unemployed when the next (big)
> technology comes.

One way in which Open Source Software is different from the current and
previous "big" technologies is that it's open.  Due to its openness, and
its separation from "Company XYZ" who may go bankrupt or change
direction in 5 years, Open Source would seem to have a much longer
'shelf-life' than some proprietary tools.

-bill!