Re: [school-discuss] Emulation via Windows

Jimmy Pierre wrote:

<http://www.cisware.com>

Greetings,

Has anybody got any experience on running some sort of Terminal Server on a linux box and connect via a Windows Box?

Best wishes

Jimmy

Yes. There are several ways to do it:

Run X-terminal software on Windows (we found the Cygwin/X setup worked well for our own needs) and connect to a Linux server. You can use xdm on the Linux box and query for login or connect (via ssh for us) and run individual apps on the Windows desktop. Uses a fair amount of network bandwidth and won't work across some firewalls.

Use VNC. Current vnc has the capability of running as a service (-identd switch) we've set it up to do so and query xdm (since I don't really want 30 people running conventional vnc sessions). Disadvantage: fixed resolutions.

Look into nx as well: see www.nomachine.com and the freeNX project (http://freenx.berlios.de/ )

Feel free to query me further on this.

--
Rob Rittenhouse