Re: [school-discuss] Authentication advice needed please

Hopefully I'm not stating the obvious, but 'winbind' is a chunk of
Samba technology that allows a *nix client to authenticate to
a Windows (or Samba!) server. If you set your terminal server up to
authenticate against your SME Samba server, then you will have
single-sign-on. Just google 'winbind' and you'll find plenty of
how-tos.

Alternatively, if you're willing to consider a different solution than
Samba by itself, you can look at configuring Samba to work with
OpenLDAP as its back-end. Then you configure your Windows clients to
authenticate to the Samba domain, and you configure your Linux clients
to authenticate to the LDAP directory. Single-sign-on attained!  There
are several how-tos out there and several commercial tools intended to
take the work out of doing this.  One option is the
"smbldap-installer" project that I've worked on; see
http://majen.net/smbldap/ if you're interested.

--matt

Peter Ruwoldt wrote:    [Tue May 02 2006, 06:14:07PM EDT]

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/