[school-discuss] [fwd] Professors' Open Source Summer Experience - 5 to 9 July in California [Mtn View]

FYI:

----- Forwarded message from Grant Bowman <grantbow@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 00:06:49 -0700
From: Grant Bowman <grantbow@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [sf-lug] Professors' Open Source Summer Experience - 5 to 9 July in
	California
To: SF-LUG <sf-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sftechteach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   FYI,

   Grant

     ---------- Forwarded message ----------
     From: "Karsten Wade" <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx>
     Date: Apr 30, 2010 6:34 PM
     Subject: [Felton LUG] Professors&apos; Open Source Summer Experience - 5
     to 9 July in California
     To: <felton-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

     (Please pass on! I don't know enough faculty at local schools, your
     word of mouth is appreciated.)

     Have you considered the benefits of teaching open source participation
     in the classroom?  More than teaching tools and technology, teaching
     open source is about giving students a chance to get hands on with
     real code in real situations.  A chance to build skills and
     experiences that scale to fit the classroom.

     Professors' Open Source Summer Experience, or POSSE, is a week long
     class taught by open source community experts from Red Hat and the
     Open Source Initiative, for those who teach higher education or
     advanced students in computer science/engineering and electrical
     engineering (CS, CE, EE.)  In this class we teach the skills to be
     "productively lost" through participation in actual projects.  These
     skills are transferable directly to teaching open source participation
     in the classroom.

     http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE

     We're offering the first California POSSE in Mountain View, 05 to 09
     July.  If you or someone you know is interested, read more here:

     http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_California_CS

     POSSE itself is free; attendees pay their own travel, lodging, and
     expenses. To find out more or to apply, check out the program page and
     send in an application.

     http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_California_CS

     If you have questions, our general Teaching Open Source mailing list
     is used for support, networking, and discussion amongst teaching
     colleagues and open source experts:

     You may also email posse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more information.

     You are encouraged to pass on this email to anyone or anywhere there
     might be professors interested in teaching open source.