[school-discuss] Replacing Active Directory with Linux File Server

What's the latest take on replacing a Windows 2003 file server with Linux?

Need Active Dir-like capabilities and perhaps an Exchange tie-in or replacement.

I've been reading this: http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/17/2255247
which has lots of people saying don't bother.

I thought Samba and LDAP were the answers, but people are saying they aren't good enough or they're too management-intensive.

Any (the more recent, the better, I guess) experiences you're willing to share?

Thank you,

David
--
* Flossed.org -- Free and Open Schools -- Free and Open Minds
* IKN (International Knowledge Networks, Co., Ltd. Thailand)