Re: [school-discuss] Linux distro multimedia education wishlist

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 10:17, Aldous Everard wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 22:07, Marilyn Hagle wrote:
>
> > I have a Visioneer StrobePro Scanner, a Microtek ScanMaker 4900, an
> > Iomega Predator CD-RW, a Midiman 49 USB station (music keyboard
> > controller), a Sony dsc-p51 Cybershot camera, a Sony MSAC-US1A Memory
> > Stick Reader/Writer, and a Wacom graphire2 drawing tablet.

For the Sony camera, see
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html evidently you'll need
PTP (http://ptp.sourceforge.net/), USB Mass Storage
(http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~mdharm/linux-usb/), and gphoto2 for it
to work properly.  You'll need to switch it from normal to PTP mode in
the setup menu.  At a guess, this will probably work for the MemoryStick
reader/writer too.

I think you're out of luck with the Visioneer scanner.  The Microtek
scanner isn't currently supported in SANE (http://www.sane-project.org/)
but it looks to me like there's a chance it will be supported at some
point in the future.  SCSI scanners are generally better supported than
USB ones at this point.

The Predator CD-RW should work with the USB Mass Storage drive also.

As for the Midiman controller, I don't know anything about that but I
found this website that might be a good starting point:
(http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html)  Also,
read this thread from the Mandrake Cooker mailing list:
(http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-09/msg03652.php) which
talks about an ezusbmidi RPM which might help.  You should also look at
http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/ and http://www.opensound.com/

The Graphire2 is supported by the Linux Wacom Project
(http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/)

--
Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net>