Re: [school-discuss] Student Information Systems

Interesting - from my point of view, a lot of what "Student Information System should do" is what you describe as the specification support system: provide an infrastructure for collective construction of knowledge.

One small suggestion: Use Plone instead of a wiki. You can even get one for free at http://www.objectis.org/english.

I also suggest that the first phase of specification, as should be (IMHO) in any project, will be research. For instance, there are a few Plone-based student systems, and of course, there are all the systems you mentioned.

- Yishay

Tim Mansfield wrote:

I think we should collectively develop a specification for what an open
source Student Information System should do.
[..]
We could set up a website to do this requirements capture -- for starters,
maybe it'd be just a wiki, some doc archival facility, and some mailing
lists.
Yishay Mor
http://ioewebserver.ioe.ac.uk/ioe/cms/get.asp?cid=4381&4381_0=7303
y.mor@ioe.ac.uk Ph +44(0)20 7612 6963 F +44(0)20 7612 6964 AIM,Yahoo: yishaym; Jabber: yishaym@jabber.org; ICQ: 179772099
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=yishaym
celebrating 100 years of excellence in education www.ioe.ac.uk/centenary