Re: [school-discuss] Required : Desktop Linux user manual

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 12:59:16PM +0530, Arjun Asthana wrote:
> Do we have a small Linux user manual (about 10 to 20 pages) to be given to
> teachers of schools on their initiation to Linux?

I can't answer this, but I have a few comments...

Really, it would depend mostly on the desktop environment being used
(i.e., KDE vs GNOME vs a light window manager like IceWM or FVWM).

However, something that covered some typical applications used in such
environments would be good.  For example, a very basic overview of how to
use the various parts of OpenOffice.org, Mozilla/Firefox and/or Konqueror,
Thunderbird and/or Evolution and/or KMail, etc...

Oh, so maybe strike what I said above. :^)

> I'll be using Knoppix 3.6 to provide hands on training to the teachers (and
> interested students).

Ah, well in this case, you'd want a "how to get around KDE" document.
This might even already exist, over at the KDE project itself.

Ooh!  These, for example:

  KDE User Guide
  http://www.kde.org/documentation/userguide/index.html

    "This guide is intended to be a detailed overview of
    the basic workings of KDE (moving windows around, navigating
    directories, etc)."

and:

  KDE Quick Start Guide
  http://www.kde.org/documentation/quickstart/index.html

    "This guide is intended to get you up and running with KDE in the
    shortest time possible."

I hope that helps!  Good luck!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                            New Breed Software