[school-discuss] Re: Wiki spam

on Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 07:16:37AM +0900, Micheal E Cooper (mcooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Regarding requiring user registration to write to a wiki, Michael Shigorin
> wrote:
>
> > -- then exactly, ultimate trust just isn't for this world.
> > (unless you don't belong to it...)
>
> That is exactly what I am saying. I think that the person who objected to
> requiring authentication on a wiki is thinking of Wikipedia and similar
> projects that glorify allowing anyone to modify the pages.

Wikipedia has a very large and active community, tends to catch gross
abuse rapidly, does have controls (including freezing pages and spam
detection), and has been creating privileged classes of users.

There's a vast difference between discovering a cool and largely
workable concepts, and clinging irrationally to an unworkable ideal
rather than a pragmatic adaptation of same.

> But that is not wiki itself. Restricting the community of users is not
> against wiki. It is just against some of the more famous uses of wiki
> technology, like wikipedia.

And even that's a myth.

> For myself, I would just turn on authentication and leave it at that.
> If a user has something to contribute, then he or she will register.
> Call me ungenerous.

I do same, block abusive IPs, and still find there's additional steps
I'd prefer to take.  But there's only so many hours.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Integrity, we've heard of it:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/