[school-discuss] Why Wiki Authentication

There is this utopian perspective inherent in the wiki, which is essential in its design.  But lets get real about the Internet.  There's lots of unsavory folks who have full Internet access.

My wiki is all about "anybody in the community can write", but the community is carefully bounded.  People who have registered can write, and anyone else can view (most of the time).  It's a wiki about emerging educational technologies, and in my classes students are required to write to it, edit it, add and delete, and explore it with the protection that what they write will be respected -- which is a promise that is difficult to keep if everyone in the world has access.

My students, who are teachers, sometimes try it with their students -- the latest was a 9th grade female geometry class in a Christian school.  This wiki was protected with authentication during this time trial.  Imagine if the wiki url were published, if perhaps, someone not in the class put offensive material of any kind, but especially something sexually explicit.   The experiment would end at the first view by a parent -- the lesson learned would be that wikis are not for education, not for kids.  And that's wrong.

I see in my router logs, my server logs, my email, in tons of articles, the overwhelming evidence for the dark side of the internet.  We have to recognize this exists if we are to enable people to use great tools like wikis without being left seriously vulnerable to predators, especially those who are in sensitive and influential moments of their development, as children are.

bb