[school-discuss] OpenFX - Seriosly Cool 3D

Just found this... very interesting...

http://www.openfx.org/resources/index.html

Seeing this tool and others of its ilk.. Blender, Anim8r, LiveSwif , Wingz ... made me think that maybe there's more to setting up a FLOSS / freeware clearing house project than just distributing software.

I just got introduced to my neighbor across the street... she's a proj lead for instructional media projects @ Univ. Texas here in Austin... we got on the topic of Open Courseware, etc. Apparently UT is wrangling internal over whether to go the route of Carnegie Melon, MIT, etc. I made a passing comment that there ought to be a foundation developing open curricula focused on the usage of FLOSS desktop applications... she lit right up. Apparently she's done several capital campaigns founding nonprofits...

So I'm looking at what's available and what the standards are. Tx. Educ. Agency has this website for tech teachers ...http://www.techappsnetwork.org . Some of the lessons are decent, all are done by technology instructors presenting @ conferences. But I've had a heck of a time finding any other collections anywhere else. Anyone know of any others?

So... FWIW, as a starter project I'm looking at sitting down  - w/ Demo Studio or Wink for instance - and building a lesson focused on doing animation in LiveSwif  (see www.liveswif.net , www.liveswifers.org ).

Another website that grabbed my attention ... I don't know where I got this link from, but the grammar/syntax language instructors are apparently very into it.. developed in Denark http://visl.sdu.dk/visl/en/parsing/automatic/trees.php
. Games: http://visl.sdu.dk/games_gym.html .

I'm working at my son's school... what I found was a small private school nyetwork needing all the usual triage & intensive care (never mind the whole shop ran on warez). So it turns out, there are problems w/ the students getting their work done -- they don't have each kind of desktop applications handy. I'm going ahead with the USB Flash Drive portable applications approach (yes yes, I know, I argued pro & con on that one last month!). The original obstacle was the $30 for a USB flash drive, but I just saw $7.00 256MB sticks on yahoo's site, & the principal & tech teacher are all for it.

But ... we're also thinking of turning this into a fund-raising tool, ala OSSWin / WinOSS / GNUWin. Resell the USB Sticks at a mark up, loaded w/ Portable Softwares...

More to come...

/lee