Re: [school-discuss] Feedback from the Georgia Educational Technology Conference and a thought

On Sunday 19 November 2006 16:03, Shane Coyle wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2006 15:51, Daniel Howard wrote:
> > Open Source Folk,
> >
> > This past week, I gave a talk at the Georgia ETC on Open Source software
> > for schools, and highlighted the Brandon story in particular.
[snip]

I was extremely excited by the response we got at the show as well. Most of
the GaETC attendees we talked to at our Local Net [LTSP] Solutions booth were
not only familiar with the Linux and FOSS potentials, but it seems about half
of them have already deployed Linux at some level of their infrastructure.
It was abundantly clear that the operational technical people -- the folks in
the educational computing trenches -- GET IT. They understand that Linux can
eliminate countless broken windows problems and free them from all the
proprietary system nightmares that arise from license liability, support
dumping, forced migration and viral file formats. These people aren't just
ready to get on board with GNU Linux / OSS solutions, their anxious.

Building outward from Brandon's example (with thanks to some well executed
"political engineering" by Daniel and friends) we now have 3 of 7 scheduled
pilot schools in Atlanta installed with enterprise scale LTSP systems, about
800 thin clients across 11 application and file servers in about 100
classrooms. The response from teachers and students alike has been
overwhelmingly positive. Clearly, if those anxious IT services people can
just manage to convert few broken windows boxes into an LTSP lab at their
schools then the superior technologies will quickly gain acceptance among the
people who need it most.

> > Based on some of the questions I got from school IT and CIO folk, I'd
> > like to pose the following question for our group: Can we put together a
> > complete Open Source solution for schools?  We could use both a
> > classroom server model, as well as an enterprise model (fewer, more
> > powerful serves in the MDF/IDF and Gigabit links to classrooms), but I
> > want to include whatever servers and software would be required for all
> > other school functions, including administrative, grading (OpenAdmin),
> > email, web portal/wiki, client support/tracking (Nagios?), etc.
> > Consider the question this way: If a brand new school/district came to
> > us and asked for a complete, turnkey Open Source solution (assuming we
> > got them a Linux consultant to integrate everything), what would we
> > recommend?

Hardware and Software requirements for LTSP installation in both the Classroom
and Enterprise server models are pretty well understood at this point. Since
the student environment is fairly evolved and complete, Linux thin client
classrooms are an effective entry point for introducing educators to GNU OSS
advantages.

Here in Atlanta we've already learned a great deal from both the success at
Brandon and the subsequent work LNS has been doing in the enterprise
installations.  Given the broad diversity of school environments we've found
in terms of facilities, staffing and infrastructures, any "turn key" LTSP
models, if such are even possible, will need to be highly scalable and
flexible. I think that the support and administrative structures you propose
will soon start to fall into place as a natural outgrowth of expanding
installations within the OSS community model.

> > On a satisfactory note, William just discovered that the SmartBoard
> > interactive whiteboards from Smart Technologies have a Linux version of
> > their software...the revolution continues.

> Outstanding, I am especially interested in the smartboard linux software
> since my local district just picked up a few of those and certainly wouldn't
> want to hear Linux doesn't support them.

I spoke to the Smart Board reps at the GaETC show and can confirm that they
have current Linux software versions available for their white board and TV
overlay product lines.  Both the Prometheus and Computrac technical reps were
promising Linux software support in first quarter '07.

Supporting the most basic functions of interactive white boards is a simple
matter of reading mouse commands. At the show I also learned of an
interactive board company here in Georgia (though name eludes me at the
moment) that advertises their product protocols as open architecture, so I'm
hoping to look into what's involved in providing Linux softare for their
product line. Some of the "highlighting" overlays and multi-remote student
polling features of the high end white board products are trickier, but not a
daunting project from the Open programming view. Maybe as simple as adapting
and coordinating Tux Paint to draw onto automatic screen snapshots? ;-)

peace
aaron