Re: [school-discuss] Foss distance learning applications

Hello Gary,
Did you ear about Moodle? It's an open source application for e-learning, is a Learning Management System (LMS) , it has a large community around de world, is better than anyone (open or propietary software).

See http://www.moodle.org
Greetings,

Carina M.

Gary Dunn wrote:
On the drive to work this morning I heard a nice piece on National Public Radio on distance learning, a.k.a. E-learning. Tomorrow they will have a second installment focusing on technique. If you know someone who teaches on-line you should suggest they give a listen.

This sot me thinking software and how E-learning began with established Internet protocols but quickly moved towards integrated, proprietary, commercial software.

How is the FOSS community doing in this niche? Are there any good Foss distance learning applications? Real-time and asynchronous? Widely used?