Re: [school-discuss] text reader

On 11/12/13 8:47 PM, LM wrote:
Was searching for a lightweight epub viewer and I ran across an
interesting Open Source program called Bard:
http://festvox.org/bard/

It handles epub, html and text formats but it can also use flite
(festival lite) to read books using text-to-speech.

Took some minor patching, but I have it building on Windows and I
think it'll work fine on Linux and BSD systems.  It needed a later
version of Festival Lite than I'd been using.  It also needs SDL and
some SDL helper libraries and libzip.

Would be curious to hear what others think of it and also if there are
other recommendations of lightweight readers.  Was recently trying to
add some more Schoolforge entries for viewers, readers, utilities and
editors that can handle EPUB and other e-book formats, so other
software recommendations welcome.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Laura
Hi Laura,
Maybe it's an idea to take a peek at eBook-speaker and DAISY player, both on
http://jlemmens.nl
Kind regards,
Dirk
--
Our Open Source projects for schools:
- Website@School (Content Management & Learning System):

Media Action Projects: On the use of ICT in education
Sold out! Please download the free PDF book
http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/schoutdi/
Now also available in Japanese