Re: [school-discuss] Ubiquity

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 08:03 -0700, lee wrote:

> William Fragakis <william@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> !!!! Yes I forgot completely about NX. Thank you.
>
> > It could be done now, of course, but X scales better (it takes
> > a bit of server resources for the nx compression).
>
> Hmm.... multi-core CPUs.

Depends on how many simultaneous sessions you need to host and what you
need to run. If it's just word-processing, I imagine you'd go quite a
bit further than Flash-based web apps.

> How feasible is an application farm? Seems like sessions could be
> load-balanced ala a reverse website proxy.
>
> Is that on the payware side of NX?

I'd reveal myself to be the idiot I am if I attempt to answer that
one ;-)

> > VNC will get you a desktop while FreeNX will let you use interactive
> >  apps like Flash and childrens' programs without being dumbed down
> > to 8 bit color.
>
> Now that's truly neat. Is this b/c NX has a special video-driver
> function?

Because NX is very thrifty in what it sends downstream. I routinely play
Flash games (we all have our vices) on a laptop over a wireless
connection to the internet. Things like TuxMath will be slow over the
internet but fly locally.

regards,
William