Re: [school-discuss] School Admin Software

Hi Charles,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Charles Cosse wrote:

Les, are there any other software that interface with your database?  I mean
stuff that other people wrote, but which cooperate with your OA conventions
and merge data from your database with theirs?

Not out in the wild. Since OA becomes the main source of student data (and is maintained in an up to date state by the secretary/ies, it is a very useful datastore. (ie. being always up to date, etc. and maintained by someone other than IT folks). We do export user information to other systems in a division context, but this is not a real built in interface. I have kicked around the idea of building an LDAP interface to give this a more generally useful form (rather than just one-off hacks). However, there has to be more interest for this to be pursued...

I confess that I am, again,
thinking along the lines of my own personal experiments with data-recording
applications and recording student session data, to be merged with meta-data
about the school/class/district/etc.  It's not an exact science, but similar
data-mining potential exists to what Google, for example, records about you
when using gmail, etc.   There's ton's of info in there getting thrown away,
otherwise.   Anyway, are there any apps making "synergistic" use of your
data?

Currently, No. Most things are built within OA to date. One of my interests is the import of gradebook information into the OA gradebook from Moodle. For me, that would be useful. Any expressions of interest out there? (and willing to work with me to that end?)

Thanks, Charles, for the insightful questions.

Les R.

Thanks,
Charles