Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Daniel,

I am maybe not quite your intended audience, but I am a teacher so . . . .
I would have to get a new job if I could not have admin privileges.  However, I
do not need anything other than privileges for my own classroom. I have to be able to install whatever I want. I am always trying new things.
The perfect world would let you give the appropriate privileges to individual
teachers.

Actually Marilyn you're exactly the intended audience, I was hoping to hear from both teachers and admin folk. A priori, I figured admin types would be loathe to allow teachers to install their own FOSS titles, whereas I know that our teachers feel completely insulted that the district won't even allow them to install their own printers, the result of which is that about 1/3 of our teachers cannot print from their teacher's PCs to new printers they purchased with their own classroom funds. Further, several of my teachers that have classroom K12LTSP servers are already asking about how they can install new software, but want training on how to do it. I agree completely that a teacher should only have privileges on her own classroom computers, should not be able to affect the network, and perhaps even modify the privileges depending on the skill of the teacher. Or have a backup system in place that any teacher can use on her classroom PCs. Marilyn, have you ever had to reinstall the operating system after trying to install a FOSS title? I'm thinking if we can backup the disk drive prior to turning them loose, it will make it much easier to recover from any errors that occur.

BTW, I applaud your efforts to constantly try new software without concern for cost or licensing. To me, this is the true power of FOSS.

Daniel